Visit Craig’s webpage, craigmartelle.com for the latest posts and updates or find him on Facebook, Author Craig Martelle. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to join his mailing list for the latest on new releases, information on old releases, and anything related to his books.
Enough 3rd person – this is me writing to you, the incredible readers who have stumbled upon my stuff and then liked it. The great reviews, the emails, the notes, the Facebook comments – all of it keeps me writing because you are so supportive.
I grew up in Iowa, joined the Marine Corps and got to see the best and the worst that the world had to offer. No matter where I went, I always had a book with me. Thanks to 21st Century technology, I now have hundreds of books loaded on my phone and computer at any point in time. This breakthrough allows us to binge read our favorites. How many books would I have read on deployments and at home had I not had to have a physical book with me? I paced myself so I wouldn’t finish it too quickly.
We aren’t encumbered like that now. I love the works of Andre Norton, Anne McCaffrey, JRR Tolkien, Robert E. Howard, and so many more. I have been compared to Andre Norton and that is humbling – she was an incredible author with a huge list of novels to her credit. With every new book, I aspire to live up to the comparisons to make you, my readers happy that you’ve picked up my latest book.
Through a bizarre series of events, I ended up in Fairbanks, Alaska. I never expected to retire to a place where golf courses are only open for four months out of the year. But that’s the way it is. It is off the beaten path. My wife and I get to watch the northern lights from their driveway. Our dog has lots of room to run. And temperatures reach fifty below zero. We have from three and a half hours of daylight in the winter to twenty-four hours in the summer.
It’s all part of the give and take of life. If we didn’t have those extremes, then everyone would live in the sub-arctic.
We asked the author:
- What is your favorite word? – curmudgeonly
- What is your least favorite word? – fail
- What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? – a beautiful Alaskan day
- What turns you off? – selfish people
- What is your favorite curse word? – butthole (I once used it four times on a tirade about John Harbaugh in a football pool)
- What sound or noise do you love? – music by Rush
- What sound or noise do you hate? – squealing brakes
- What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? – none. I’m doing what I want to do and love it.
- What profession would you not like to do? – politician, although treating that as a profession is anathema to why politicians exist
- If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? “Welcome aboard, Marine.”